: 22 Ways to Reuse Old Books

Hi! 

Lately we've been getting a ton of old books in the shop, which I think is awesome because I'm an avid reader and lover of printed words. A few of these vintage tomes, however, were just a little too beat up to read. So I started scouring Pinterest for inspiration of things that can be done with old books. Check out the project ideas I found.

Pin 
This stenciled piece of art reminds me of the book page wall that we did in the shop! Only on a much smaller scale. I would love to do a piece like this for my sewing room!
Pin 
While this isn't a home decor project, I just had to share this gorgeous book dress! Definitely a piece of art.

Pin 
I love this idea of making book marks out of the spines of old books! How clever is that?

Pin 
We actually have this picture in the shop and we attach it to the old books we get in because it's just such a great idea. I love how this looks.

Pin 
This is another good example of a book page wall! This one looks a little less random than the one we did for Phantastic Phinds, but I think both styles are beautiful in their own way. (Of course, you know which one I like better!)

Pin 
This is a beautiful bracelet that is such a good idea for old pages or even old sheet music! Don't be afraid to take something that is unwanted and make it into something beautiful or useful.

Pin 
This business card holder would be amazing made with old book pages, especially old Dictionary pages because they seem to be a little stiffer than novels. We used a dictionary to make the book wall at the shop.

Pin 
Do you have a shop, too? How about a book counter?! It would also be cool to take this general idea and make a desk. I actually have an idea in my mind of how to do that, and it would look amazing if it worked.

Pin 
This piece of art is just like the first one that I showed you, only it's made with The Cat In The Hat, so it would be great for a children's room. I think it would also be great to use an illustrated fairy tale or mythology book for a grown up version.

Pin 
This pin leads to a tutorial on how to hollow out a book. When I was younger, I read the Babysitter's Club books and Claudia kept secret candy in a hollowed out book in her room. After that, I always wanted to make one! Just think of the treasures you could keep in there!

Pin 
This is more of something you can do with an old ladder, but I loved this pictures so much I had to share. I remember when I first started working for Phantastic Phinds they had a ladder set up just like this in the shop and I thought it was such a neat idea!

Pin 
This light fixture might be a little ambitious of a project, but it's so beautiful and has such beautiful lines to it that it would definitely be worthwhile. How gorgeous.

Link 
You KNOW I HAD to include our very own Phantastic Phinds book page wall. I love this wall, I love how it turned out and I LOVED helping Angela make it. It also makes me feel nice every time a customer comes in and tells us how awesome it looks!

Pin 
Here is another example of a shelf made from old books, only instead of using store bought brackets they have used more old books here! This is a very clever idea if you're out of brackets.

Pin 
When books come into the shop, we often use them to add height and texture to a display. This also works well in your home. If you put, say, a lamp or vase on a table and think to yourself, "This is just a touch too low", add a stack of vintage books underneath for a charming rustic way to get some height.

Pin 
Using a book as a prop for a vase also works great for parties and weddings.

Pin 
This holiday book tree made me happy. I just had to include it, even though it's a little past Christmas. (Okay, a lot past Christmas.)

Pin 
This gorgeous little bunting made from book pages is a fun thing for either a kid's room or a living/family room!

Pin 
 I love this display with the canvas covered in book pages, as you well know because there are two other similar photos in this post, but this wreath is just wonderful, too! And the book pages in the bottle remind me of messages! This is a very whimsical display and I would totally have this in my house.

Link to Craftster

Last week I bought a few books from the shop and this is what I want to do to them. I have a lot of friends who would love to get these as gifts and it would be a good way to use books that may not be in the best of shape but the covers are still sturdy.

Link to Cafe Cartolina

This just goes into my WANT list. I don't think I would ever make this lamp, because that would take power tools and patience (two things I do not have) but I'm definitely loving the rustic vibe this lamp has.

Link to Tutorial

If you aren't into the whole sketchbook idea from above, this tutorial is great, too, especially if you have little kids! It would make long car rides or appointments a little more bearable.

I hope you've enjoyed this little inspiration post. I know some of you out there might think it's a crime to chop up old books, and for the most part I would agree with you, but if no one is using it or if it's so damaged that it's hard to use any more, then make it into something useful! That's how I feel about everything.

See you next time!

Comments

Popular Posts