View New Daily Inventory

View new hourly inventory of vintage & antique furniture and home goods: PhantasticPhinds.com

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

How To Use Chalk Paint® Annie Sloan: Buffet Before & After Using Shellac

When we took over the space next door to the shop, our landlord left this piece for me to sell. Since I needed storage for all my paint goodies that we would be using for the workshops I decided to buy it and give it a Chalk Paint™ over hall. It's a very well made, solid mahogany piece that had lots of wear to the exterior but was oh so perfect for the workshop.
The original piece dates to the 1940's and had those infamous deep red tannins in the finish that we often talk about. A lot of vintage mahogany furniture from this time period used a very deep, red stain to accentuate the natural tone of the wood. Unfortunately, this is one finish that will require a little more work when using Chalk Paint™. The piece needed to be covered with a coat of clear shellac to seal the tannins from coming through the paint. It is a very easy process and dries in minutes, unlike priming. 

Before shellacing, I prepped the piece by removing the drawers and giving it a good wipe down.



To shellac, use an inexpensive chip brush and brush the entire piece wherever it is finished. It literally took minutes to do and it dries just as fast. Once dry you are good to go and can resume painting. IF you have started painting and see the bleed through occur, stop, let the paint dry, apply the shellac, let it dry and then continue.
I decided I wanted a natural finished top but did not like the red, red, red of the current finish. Plus it had a lot of damaged areas. Sooooo..... I used my brand new palm sander (WHICH I LOOOOVEEE!) and took the finish right off.


 I painted the inside of the buffet, the drawers, and the insets of the cabinets with Old Ochre.


 Whew, look how GORGEOUS that top is, even before stain! 


The body of the piece I did in Coco. I love the warmth that the two colors bring when used together.




I used Minwax Provincial stain for the top; two coats of stain, and two coats of poly while sanding in between the poly coats with 1,000 grit paper.


Here is the finished piece. The top is still a little wet but you get the idea. I did distress the finish a bit too. I love the way the dark top contrasts with the softness of Old Ochre and Coco. 
 



~Angela for Phantastic Phinds


View Our FULL website: 
Like what you see?
Don't miss a thing by signing up to receive our
blog posts via email: click here

You can also follow us on 

FacebookTwitter & Pinterest 

Phantastic Phinds 631 Bethlehem Pike Erdenheim PA 19038 www.PhantasticPhinds.com 215-233-3325



No comments:

Post a Comment