How to Add Height to an Old Table

We have a great farm table in our kitchen HOWEVER as most old tables go, it is short. Since we are all tall around here we usually end up with bruised knees when dining in. I have been meaning for the longest time to add casters to it to give it a little height. This is a GREAT tip for any old table that needs a few more inches. 
   
I ordered four "aged" casters from Van Dykes Restorer's, my favorite place to get good repro knobs, pulls and tons of other stuff. Check 'em out if you need to match an existing piece. They have dozens of caster styles to choose from, I went with a bronzed threaded version for this table.

So when my hubby came home from work, this is how he found our kitchen table. Upside down in the middle of the room. If I had found his drill earlier I would have attempted to do it myself but lucky for him (and me) I did not.


 
He pre-drilled the center of each leg and then threaded the caster in. The wood was so hard that it started to smoke and smelled like a campfire, but he finally got it in. 



Each caster had three screws to help keep it in place. Since they were slotted heads, he pre-drilled the holes and hand screwed them in place.


We flipped 'er back over and VIOLA 2.25 more inches of leg room! 


 

~Angela for Phantastic Phinds


View Our FULL website: 
www.PhantasticPhinds.com

Like what you see?
Don't miss a thing by signing up to receive our
blog posts via email: click here to sign up


You can also follow us on 
Facebook
Twitter & Pinterest 


Philly Hot List Winner for Best Furniture 2011, 2012 & 2013!

Fully stocked in Chalk Paint® decorative paint by Annie Sloan


 

Join Us for one of our Current Classes Schedule at the Workshop:
 PhantasticPhinds.com/Workshop

Phantastic Phinds 631 Bethlehem Pike Erdenheim PA 19038 www.PhantasticPhinds.com 215-233-3325

Comments

  1. lol my husband has come home to much worse! I love how the dog has to be in on the action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phyllis, yes the dog has to be in on everything that goes on at our house. Too funny! Thanks for the comment. ~Angela

      Delete
  2. I am looking few tips for buying boardroom furniture & got some useful tips from this post.Thanks for sharing this post.

    office furniture uk & office reception furniture

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Nice post, i think its a very nice product. I really like this product and its features are also very good. Thanks for sharing with us.

    cast iron casters & kingpinless cart casters

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Nice Post. This information will increase more and more people to know about buying online furniture. I use to do buy furniture online as its time saving.


    Conference table & Office furniture UK

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts