Book Page Wall at the Store

This is the surprise project Meghan and I worked on the other night at Phantastic Phinds. We revamped the back wall with old book pages. Whada-ya-think?


When I first opened the store, I needed to cover some ugly insulation behind the check out area. My mom and I came up with the idea of using fabric. It worked great but overtime I grew really tired of the print. I had been wanting to change it for a while.
Meghan volunteered to help me rip down the fabric and put up a fresh new book page wall.

Meghan Says: This is my Vanna White impersonation. 
I was a little worried that the fabric would be stubborn and not want to come down but away it went with a few firm pulls.
I had saved some old Botany books and an Encyclopedia that I picked up a few years ago in an estate clean out. Meghan dutifully ripped the pages out. We decided to leave the pages rough for a more authentic look.

Meghan Says: My boyfriend works in a book store, and we both read a lot, and I have to admit I felt a little guilty ripping apart books! BUT once I got over that, it was a lot of fun!


We used 3M Spray Adhesive. I think it was around $6 a can but we barely finished the can so for $6 this was a great project.
Meghan started with a fun layout. We decided to start in the middle and work up. We kept saying "this is SO easy, this is awesome" and it was SO easy. I am definitely going to do this in a room at my house when we move. You could really use anything. Old newspaper would be fun too. 

Meghan Says: Oh gosh! Do a mixture of newsprint and book pages for different colors and textures! That would look awesome. (Because I needed more projects.)
We just randomly placed the pages, some were upside down, some we a bit crooked but it all looked great.

Meghan Says: I like that there are illustrations as well as text. I love text, I love the look of words, which is why I paint so many slogans and lyrics on all of my clothing, but I love the illustrations against the text on this wall. I have some secret favorites, too, but they are hidden and you can't see them. ;-)
It sort of looks like Texas here.

Meghan Says: Kind of looks like a lopsided heart here. I love how some of the pages are browner than others! It really adds depth.
The fumes were starting to set in and I was getting a little goofy. We had the door open but this stuff is powerful and sticky! My feet kept sticking to the floor.


Meghan posing with our project midway though.

Meghan Says : I'm Adorable. I mean, the WALL is adorable. 



VIOLA she is done.
Meghan Says: I think this might have been one of the funnest things I've gotten to do at Phantastic Phinds yet! I love any time I get to do an art project at work. And, knowing that I helped, really makes me happy.



Meghan Says: It really changes the shop. Instead of casting everything in a slightly yellow light now, the book pages reflect more natural light.


What do you think of our DIY book page wall?
Comments below are always welcome.


 ~Angela & Meghan for Phantastic Phinds
 
View Our FULL website: 
Like what you see?
Don't miss a thing by signing up to receive our
blog posts via email: click here

You can also follow us on 

FacebookTwitter & Pinterest 

Phantastic Phinds 631 Bethlehem Pike Erdenheim PA 19038 www.PhantasticPhinds.com 215-233-3325


Comments

  1. I love love love it! How creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super job of recycling as well as making a statement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job! I love it! I gotta get up there- haven't been to the store in too long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful. it looks so easy too. I wonder if it would hold up in a bathroom because I think I need to try this. I just love all your blogs. You girls have such wonderful ideas. I am really loving the Chalk Paint stuff you have been doing too. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job ladies, I can't wait to see it in person. I will be bye this week. ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I looks like you all had such a wonderful time doing it to. What a fun group!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't get enough of this store and ALLLLLLL your wonderful ideas. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE YOUR POSTS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for the wonderful feedback. We had a really good time doing it too! ~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Customer Comment: a friend used her old Beatles piano books to wall paper her powder room and then hung old Beatles memorabilia on the walls/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Customer Comment: LOVE IT! You guys did a great job. It looks like it was alot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Question; did you guys spray the pages then paste them up? Or douse the wall?I am going to do an accent wall in my bedroom and am trying to figure out the best way to go about it. Plus I don't want it to be too permanent, so do you suppose those pages would be easyish to tear down?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah - we spayed the wall directly with the 3M spray then stuck the pages up. You can pull them down and reposition as needed so it is not too permanent. I highly recommend covering the floor before spraying because it is really sticky! It was a great project and a lot of fun! Good luck and send us your after pictures.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts