How To Use Chalk Paint® Annie Sloan: Step-by-Step DIY Painted Hutch

Guess what? I have another Vintage Mahogany hutch redo for you. This time it is strictly with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint™ and wax.
A beautiful 1930's Mahogany hutch gets a new look with a little Annie Sloan

I decided to take the doors off permanently to give the piece a more updated look
I coated the piece with two thin coats of Annie Sloan Greek Blue. No sanding, no priming, just paint (oh how I love Annie Sloan!). I also used Greek Blue for Piper's dog bench redo.
Once dry, I gave it a light sand to bring out some of the mahogany and distress the edges and details.
When distressing I like to put the drawers back in to make sure it is even and looks natural. Make sure to wipe or brush down the piece before doing the wax.
I coated the piece with Annie Sloan Dark wax. It is best to do small areas because the wax drys quickly. Brush it on with the fabulous AS wax brush and then wipe away excess with a dry cloth.
I ended up not liking the amount of dark wax on the drawers here. The great thing about Annie Sloan is that the clear wax works like a magic eraser for the dark wax. Just rub away the dark wax anywhere you added to much to thin it out or remove it completely.
Viola! Here she is. I shot her with some select pieces from my yellow American pottery collection. I think the yellow really contrasts nicely with the antiqued Greek Blue.



This piece will be available for sale in Phantastic Phinds soon. I will post back here with a link to its sale page once it is available.



As always, we would love to hear your feedback. Comments always welcome!

UPDATE - this piece sold rather quickly once it came into the store. The customer sent us a beautiful after picture of it in here home. See the photo & her quote below. 

"Hello, just wanted to let you know how THRILLED I am with my new Chalk Paint™ hutch & mahogany distressed desk-- they arrived this morning and they are perfect. I included a photo of the hutch in my dining room (still working on the arranging of shelves!). I'm using the desk as a vanity in my bedroom. Anyway, thanks again, I will definitely be back, so glad I made the journey to your shop! Nelle"



~Angela for Phantastic Phinds


View Our FULL website:
www.PhantasticPhinds.com



Like what you see? Don't miss a thing by signing up to receive our blog posts via email: click here

You can also follow us on 
Facebook
TwitterPinterest 

Phantastic Phinds 631 Bethlehem Pike Erdenheim PA 19038 www.PhantasticPhinds.com 215-233-3325
 

Comments

  1. Nice transformation! Did you paint and wax the hardware too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did. I usually do not do that but I wanted a cohesive look.

      Delete
  2. Awesome job Ang! You are so creative:) -Sarah K

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous. I cannot wait to get my hands on the Chalk Paint. When will you be having workshops?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy. No workshops on the docket yet, we want to get the paint in and set up before we set up classes. We will have other classes than Chalk Paint™ too. Details to come soon. Keep an eye on the blog for all the details.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts