DIY Project: An Easy Cake Plate!

Hello! Meghan here again to do a quick and easy DIY with you! I was in the store with a customer the other day and she was looking for a cake plate. We did not have what she was looking for, but I suggested she take a look at Pinterest because I knew a lot of blogs were doing cake plate DIYs. After she left, I thought that maybe I should do one here, too, just to show you that with a little creativity (and the best glue ever) you can make an interesting desert display!


Step 1: Gather your supplies.




I went to the shop and found two beautiful plates that didn't have any friends with them (meaning there was only one) and a set of beautiful glass candle holders. I also used e-6000 glue. I use this glue for almost everything- it is permanent, clear and waterproof. This makes it great for jewelry and glass DIYs like this one. I made sure to  clean the bottom of the plates and the cups of the candle holders with a bit of Fantastik to make sure everything was extra clean and dry before I glued.


Step 2: Glue time!






Apply a medium sized ring of glue to the lip of your candle holder. This glue is smelly so make sure you use it in a well ventilated area and it comes in a metal tube so even after you push on it the glue will still come out. The yellow post it in the background of the image is my glue catcher. 

Wait a few seconds (maybe 20?) just to let the glue get a little tacky before you do the next step which is placing the candlestick onto the bottom of the plate.


Step 3: Waiting



This is the hard part for me, since I'm an impatient woman, but it's crucial to let the glue sit for at least 24 hours. That is how long I let my necklaces sit when I used this glue on them, too, so make sure you let it be. Things you can do in the mean time include dancing around your living room, making dinner and watching TV. Or reading. You know, things you would do if you weren't waiting for something awesome to dry.

Once the glue has been sitting for 24 hours it should be dry and ready to go! You can use your new cake plates in SO many ways! As a jewelry display, as cake or desert plates or even use it during a DIY wedding. I would use these to display small succulents or jewelry. 


Aren't they cute? While I was waiting for them to dry I did come up with another idea after seeing a duel candle holder we had. Check it out! 


I'm kind of in love with this, too. It is less cutesy and more classical. This would be more for succulents or as a tiny plant holder than dessert, though. Just another reminder to always be creative when you're looking at things. Don't look at what they are, look at what they can be.


Edited to include:


Here are some "Around the Shop" pics I took with the two cake plates I made mixed in with other pieces. They are so adorable!





Did you like this post? Why don't you tell us! Leave a (nice) comment below. We love to get your feedback.



~Meghan for Phantastic Phinds


Like what you see? Don't miss a thing by signing up to receive our  posts via email here

You can also follow us on FacebookTwitter & Pinterest

Phantastic Phinds 631 Bethlehem Pike 

Comments

  1. Love it! I'm totally going to do that! Thanks for such great ideas

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUSTOMER COMMENT: This is great. I am visiting my daughter in Philly soon and will visit you then. She introduced me to your shop which she loves as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CUSTOMER COMMENT: thanx for the diy suggestions...would love to hear your ideas on some simple re-finishing tips for furniture the needs a little sprucing up... not the major stuff like stripping,but easier techniques

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts